Vermicelli Upma | Semiya Upma | Spicy Seviyan Upma | शेवई उपमा | शेवयाचा उपमा | Goan Style Shevyacho Saano | Namkeen Sewai No onion no garlic Vermicelli recipe with detail step by step instructions and a video. Semiya Upma is a simple Indian breakfast or snack recipe made from vermicelli. The dish is slightly spicy and has very simple flavours yet tastes delicious. In Goa, we call this dish as ‘Shevyacho Saano’. In Konkani, vermicelli is called as ‘shevyo’ and upma is called as ‘saano’.
Making and Serving Vermicelli Upma
The recipe for seviya upma is very simple and easy. This recipe doesnot require any prep work and takes hardly 10 minutes to make. It is ideal for breakfast, kid’s tiffin box or a healthy tea time snack. You also can quickly prepare this recipe if any guests drop in at home in the evening. I usually reduce my morning work by making the tadka, frying the vermicelli and adding cumin powder, sugar and salt the previous night and leave it outside. The next morning I just add boiling water, coconut and chopped coriander leaves to it. And the dish gets ready in 2 minutes. This saves me some time in the morning.
Seviya Upma Premix
When my kid was small, I used to make upma premix at home to carry with me on holiday trips here in the US. I used to carry a small rice cooker with me on the trips where I could boil water, add a little upma premix and make seviya upma. Make the seviya upma premix just before the day of travel. Heat oil and make the tadka by adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, asafoetida powder, green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Then add the vermicelli and fry till light brown. Then add sugar, salt and cumin powder. Mix well and keep aside to cool down. Once it cools down, you can put it in a ziplock bag and take it on your trip. This premix will stay good for 5 – 6 days in US weather without getting spoilt. I skip adding the fresh coconut though because it will spoil the premix.
You can also check out more Goan breakfast recipes on our channel like kandyachi bhakri (onion bhakri) , rava bhakri , gavachi bhakri (wheat jaggery bhakri) and godache fov.
Do check out more of our Goan recipes here.
Check out more traditional and authentic Goan recipes on our youtube channel Bhukkad Recipes. Do not forget to like, share and subscribe!!
- 2 cup vermicelli
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 6 green chillies – cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp urad dal
- 1/4 Tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/2 Tsp cumin powder
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- coriander leaves – finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add urad dal. Fry till urad dal turns slightly red.
- Add asafoetida powder, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add vermicelli. Fry the vermicelli till light brown.
- Add cumin powder. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water. Add sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the water dries up.
- Add coconut and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Seviyan Upma is ready. Serve hot.
Tips & Tricks
- The quantity of boiling water should be equal to the quantity of vermicelli. If more water is added then the vermicelli will be soggy.