Palak soup or cream of spinach soup is a very healthy and nutritious soup. The recipe is very simple and the delicious soup is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. I make this soup atleast once every week. And the fussy eaters in my family who otherwise crib about eating leafy greens, happily gulp down this yummy soup. It is that delicious!!! So in this post I will be sharing my super hit cream of spinach soup or palak soup recipe with you all.
In my home, we eat a lot of green leafy vegetables. I make leafy greens atleast 5 days in a week. So I am always on the lookout for different recipes. We can make a variety of recipes from spinach like paratha, dry sabji, gravy sabji , pulao, dal , palak paneer, etc. But I find soup to be the easiest, healthiest and most tasty of all spinach recipes. I serve soup at evening snack time or along with salad as a light dinner. A cup of steaming hot soup during the extreme winter weather is really comforting.
This recipe makes use of simple ingredients which are easily available in our homes. I have added cream and butter to this recipe as it gives the soup a rich texture. Butter also takes the taste of the soup to the next level. If you do not have cream then you can skip cream and add a little milk instead. Although you will not get that rich flavour and texture with milk. I have also added a cube of maggi magic masala. This masala cube gives the soup a very delicious taste. Since this recipe does not use any other spice or flavouring agent except salt and pepper, i like adding the masala cube. Since otherwise the soup can feel a little bland to our Indian taste.
This recipe is suitable for all ages from toddlers to adults to old aged family members. When serving this recipe for toddlers, I would advise to skip adding maggi cube and reduce the pepper powder. For toddlers you can also substitute cream with milk.
- 1 bunch spinach (washed and randomly chopped)
- 1 small onion (randomly chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 Tsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 Tsp pepper powder
- 1 maggi magic masala cube
- salt as per taste
- 2 Tsp oil
- 2½ cup water
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add garlic. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and fry till golden.
- Add the chopped spinach. Add 3/4th cup of water and fix the lid of the pressure cooker. Bring the pressure cooker to 1 whistle.
- Let the contents of the pressure cooker cool down. Then grind it into a fine puree.
- Heat a pan. Pour the spinach puree in to the pan. Take 1½ cup water in the mixer jar and then pour it into the pan.
- Add pepper powder and salt. Mix well. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the maggi cube and stir well. Boil for 2 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the soup as desired.
- Add the butter and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the cream and stir well. Switch off the flame.
Tips & Tricks
- Remember that butter contains salt and hence add salt accordingly at step 7.
- This recipe can be fed to toddlers. Do not add the maggi cube and reduce the measure of pepper powder when making this recipe for toddlers.