Goan Style Tomato Salad Bhaji | Pyaz Tamatar Sabji | Onion Tomato Chutney recipe with detail instructions and a video. Tomato Salad Bhaji is a very popular Goan curry made from onions and tomatoes. This famous bhaji is served and eaten with hot kadak Goan pao. You will not find this dish at the beach side shacks or posh restaurants in Goa. It will only be available in small local eateries and cafes. This recipe is also referred to as pyaz tamatar ki sabzi or onion tomato chutney in some places in India.
The small eateries or cafes of Goa is what a Goenkar cherishes the most. A Goan might have eaten the best cuisines around the world, but will still long to eat bhaji pao at a small cafe in Goa. These cafes have a long list of various yummy bhaji pao options like sukhi bhaji, patal bhaji, mix bhaji, chana usal and so on. One such popular and tasty combination is the Salad Bhaji & Pao.
Tomato Salad Bhaji is a simple dish made from tomatoes, onions, spices and a basic tadka. It is slightly spicy and the tomatoes give a nice tangy taste. Chopped garlic fried in oil gives a nice flavour to this recipe. This dish is prepared using everyday ingredients easily available at home. It does not require much prep time and is very quick and easy to make. Tomato Salad Bhaji served with pao is the perfect breakfast for Goans. It can also be eaten as a light dinner or packed as a tiffin recipe. Dear hubby and son love tomato salad bhaji and thus when paired with rotis, it becomes a perfect option for lunch box.
You can try out our other Goan bhaji pao recipe options like chana ros, potato patal bhaji and alsande tonak.
- 3 Onions (sliced thin)
- 6 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 15 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 Green Chilli (slit)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- ⅛ Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida powder. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add green chilli and onions. Fry till the onions turn soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tumeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add some water and cook uncovered till the tomatoes are mashed.
- Cook till sabji thickens and has little water left. Add sugar, coriander leaves and tomato ketchup. Mix well.
- Cook for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with Goan pao or chapati/rotis.
Tips & Tricks
- Add more green chillies and chilli powder if you prefer a more spicy sabji.
- Donot make the bhaji very runny or extremely dry. Salad bhaji has a little amount of water in it.
- The tomatoes have to be cooked perfectly till soft and mashed. If the tomatoes are not cooked fully then the salad bhaji will not taste good.