Kelyachi Bhaji Goan Style | Raw Banana Sabji Goan Style | Kacche Kele ki Sabzi | कच्च्या केळीची भाजी | कच्चे केले की सब्जी | Konkani Kele Upkari recipe with detail step by step instructions and a video. Kelyachi Bhaji is a simple Goan recipe made from raw bananas. In Konkani, a banana is referred to as ‘kele’ and ‘bhaji’ means a dry curry. Hence this curry is called as ‘kelyachi bhaji’.
Raw Banana Benefits
Raw bananas are a rich source of potassium and fibre. They are also loaded with vitamins and minerals. Also the sugar content in raw bananas is very low, which makes them beneficial for diabetics. They also help to control blood pressure.
Ingredients for Kelyachi Bhaji
This recipe uses simple everyday ingredients. Raw bananas have a very subtle taste and hence when paired up with the right spices, tastes really good. In this recipe we use onions, fresh grated coconut, turmeric powder and a special Goan masala called saamar masala. Saamar masala majorly consists of coriander seeds and spicy local Goan red chillies with minute quantities of other whole spices.
Making and Serving Kelyachi Bhaji
The recipe for kelyachi bhaji is very simple and easy. Also it takes very less time, hardly 15 minutes to make this sabzi. Thus whenever you are short of time and want to make a quick lunch, you can try this recipe. In Goan homes, this bhaji is served as a side dish with rice/fish curry or with rice/dal. Alternately, you can also eat this bhaji with roti/fulka.
You can also check out more Goan vegetarian recipes on our channel like chanyachi usali , mooga gathi, kelyachyo fodi (raw banana fritters) , chanyacho ros and patal batata bhaji.
Do check out more of our Goan recipes here.
Check out more traditional and authentic Goan recipes on our youtube channel Bhukkad Recipes. Do not forget to like, share and subscribe!!
- 3 raw bananas
- 2 medium size onions – finely chopped
- 1 green chilli – cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Goan saamar masala
- 1/2 Tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Cut off the stalk of the raw bananas and discard. Cut each raw banana into 3 pieces.
- Add the raw banana pieces into a pressure cooker. Add just enough water to dip the banana pieces. Close the pressure cooker.
- Cook on high heat till 1 whistle.
- After 1 whistle, reduce flame to low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Once the pressure from the cooker cools down, remove the raw banana pieces. Remove the skin from the banana and discard.
- Chop the pressure cooked raw banana into small pieces. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the coconut, turmeric powder, saamar masala, sugar and salt. Mix everything well together.
- Add the above coconut and spice mixture to the chopped raw banana. Mix everything well together. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and green chilli. Fry for a minute.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Mix well and fry for a minute.
- Cover the pan and cook till the onions are soft.
- Add the raw banana pieces. Mix well.
- Add a little water about 2 – 3 Tsp. Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
- Raw Banana Bhaji is ready!!