Goan Style Kangachi Bhaji with Sango | Goan Sweet potato stir fry | Sweet Potato Upkari with drumsticks Konkani | Ratalyachi Bhaji | Kananga Upkari | Shakarkandi ki Sabzi | Sukhi Sabji | Dry curry | Genasina Palya | Kereng baaji | Sakkaravalli recipe with detail instructions and a video. Kangachi Bhaji is a simple Goan stir fry recipe made from sweet potatoes. The name is derived from the Konkani words ‘kanga’ meaning sweet potatoes and ‘bhaji’ meaning a dry curry.
Ingredients of Kangachi Bhaji
Kangachi Bhaji is a huge favourite in my home. This dry sabzi has simple flavours yet tastes awesome. This recipe uses a very basic tadka of mustard seeds and asafoetida powder and hence you can enjoy the natural taste of sweet potatoes. The green chillies add a perfect spicy balance to this dish. I also add drumsticks to this bhaji. The combination of sweet potatoes and drumsticks is heavenly. Addition of fresh grated coconut enhances the taste of this dish.
Nutrition Benefits of Sweet Potato & Drumsticks
Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious. They are a rich source of fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Drumsticks is another powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. It boosts the immune system and helps to reduce inflammation. Drumsticks also aid in strengthening the bones. Hence, kangachi bhaji is one recipe I look forward to making once a month due to its health benefits.
This recipe does not require much prep work. Also, the bhaji gets ready in 20 minutes or less. In my home, I serve it as a side dish with fish curry/ white rice or rice/dal. But you can also eat it with fulkas or chapatis.
You can try our other Goan sweet potato recipes likes kangachi kheer and kangachi nevri.
- 700 grams Sweet Potatoes
- 3 drumsticks
- 5 green chillies
- 4 Tbsp fresh grated coconut
- ¾ Tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ Tsp asafoetida powder
- ½ Tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- coconut oil
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into cubes. Soak in water to prevent discolouration.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add asafoetida powder.
- Add sweet potatoes, drumsticks and green chillies. Add ½ cup water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium high flame till sweet potatoes and drumsticks are 50% cooked.
- Add coconut, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till sweet potatoes and drumsticks are cooked and all the water dries up.